FAQ Support Questions

How are child support payments calculated?

We get this question a lot, as it is fundamental to your support orders. The court first calculates the net disposable income of both parents. Next, they subtract the following amounts:

  • State and federal tax obligations
  • Mandatory union dues
  • Necessary-job related expenses
  • Health insurance premiums
  • Financial hardships

Based on this number and other variables, the court will establish the final amount that each parent is ordered to contribute.

How long do child support payments continue?

Support orders expire when the child turns 18, unless they are still in high school full time and live with a parent. Support then ends when the child turns 19 or graduates from high school, whichever comes first. Other reasons for terminated support payments include the marriage of a child or military enlistment.

What does timeshare have to do with child support?

Timeshare is the amount of time that each parent is fully responsible for the child. Child support payments will be arranged based on the parent's time spent with the child and is usually higher for the noncustodial parent.

Can my support order be retroactive?

Under the right circumstances, yes. A retroactive support order means that the court will start to enforce the order from the date that the petition for divorce is filed. If divorce papers are served in April, but support requests aren't filed till June, the court may require the payments to go back to April.

What happens if one parent is not working?

Parents often try to use unemployment as a way to get out of paying child support. Courts see right through this and will then calculate an amount of income for the nonworking parent based on their earning abilities. If the parent has the ability to work, it is unlikely that they will get out of paying support.

My former spouse is not paying support. Can you help me?

It is always unfortunate when one parent stops making their support payments. We want to assist you as much as possible to ensure that you receive the money you deserve. This may involve filing a motion for contempt and our Pasadena child support attorney can help you do so successfully. No matter how long it takes, we will fight for the preservation of your rights.

Call our Pasadena & Beverly Hills firm today to schedule your consultation and receive 24/7 legal support.

The Graves Law Firm

We Can Help You Make a Fresh Start

I would like to receive It Doesn't Have To Be Ugly e-book for free!

Send My Information