Demetria L. Graves
Compassionate Divorce Lawyer
As a dedicated Pasadena divorce attorney, Demetria L. Graves handles all aspects of family law, including divorce, child custody, child support, modifications, paternity, visitation rights, and other related legal issues in California.
Ms. Graves proudly represents clients throughout Los Angeles County.
Education & Background
As a California native, Demetria L. Graves was born and raised in Pasadena. After receiving an undergraduate degree in Social Welfare from the University of California, Berkeley, Ms. Graves went on to receive her Juris Doctor Degree from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles.
After practicing family law with a small law firm in Arcadia, she decided to start her own family law firm in Pasadena and Beverly Hills, The Graves Law Firm, and the rest is history.
Ms. Graves is a Professor at West Los Angeles Community College and a recipient of the "Teacher of the Year" award. She is also the former legal chair of the YWCA of Glendale.
Ms. Graves is also involved in many organizations, including the Los Angeles County Bar Association, Beverly Hills Bar Association, Langston Bar Association, Pasadena Bar Association, Past President of the Black Women's Lawyers Los Angeles, Inc., and the Loyola Law School African American Alumni Association.
Helping You & Your Family Start Fresh
Ms. Graves is a family law advocate that is committed to getting her client's lives back on track in a way that is both efficient and affordable. She understands that situations such as divorce are outside the realm of your control. You need someone who will compassionately guide you through the legal process. That is exactly what Ms. Graves is devoted to doing.
Personally working with each client, she makes sure that no one is laid to the wayside as just another case number. She keeps you updated on new developments and helps you understand every aspect of the process before making any decisions. Ms. Graves is most interested in protecting your rights, as well as the rights of your children. She is highly invested in each case the firm takes on, always answering calls and emails within 24 hours. She is also supported by a reliable legal assistant, Elizabeth Deniz, who works closely with Attorney Graves and her clients to provide the best possible legal services.
- Los Angeles Business Journal - Top 100 Lawyers (2022)
- Los Angeles Business Journal - Women of Influence: Attorneys (2022)
- Daily Journal - Top Family Lawyers (2022)
- Pasadena Magazine - Feature Article on Demetria L. Graves (2021)
- Daily Journal - Feature Article on The Graves Law Firm (2021)
- Los Angeles Business Journal - Leaders of Influence: Minority Attorneys (2021 - 2022)
- Los Angeles Business Journal - Thriving in Their 40s (2020 - 2021)
- Los Angeles Business Journal - Women's Leadership Awards Nominee (2021)
- Los Angeles Magazine - Southern California Super Lawyer (2016 - 2022) and Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2009 - 2014)
- Pasadena Weekly - Best of Pasadena (2020)
- AVVO 10.0 Superb Rating
- Published, "When Women Run the Firm", a #1 New Release on Amazon (2021)
- Profiled in the Daily Journal article, "Mindful of Impact: Demetria Graves knows divorces affect whole families, approaches cases as a peacemaker" (2021)
- Daily Journal's 'Top Women Lawyers' (2021)
- Los Angeles Business Journal Women's Leadership Awards Nominee (2021)
- Los Angeles Business Journal's 'Minority Leaders of Influence: Attorneys' (2021)
- Southern California Super Lawyers: (2016-2021)
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2009-2014)
- Pasadena Magazine's 'Pasadena's Top Lawyers'
- Teacher of Year, West Los Angeles College (2009)
- Women in Business Award and Attorney of the Year (2007)
- National Bar Association Top 40 Under 40 (2018)
Areas of Practice:
- Family Law
- Child Custody and Visitation
- Child Support
- Property Division in Divorce
- Spousal Support (Alimony)
- Dissolution of Domestic Partnership Agreements
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California
- University of California, Berkeley (JD)
- Certified Family Law Specialist (CFLS)
- Professor of Family Law, West Law College, Los Angeles
Professional Associations & Memberships:
- California Lawyers Association, Family Law Executive Committee
- Loyola Law School African American Alumni Association - Co-Chair
- Black Women's Lawyers Los Angeles, Inc. -- Past President
- Langston Bar Association - Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association--Member
- Beverly Hills Bar Association--Member
- Pasadena Bar Association--Member
Connect With Attorney Demetria Graves:
I came into Attorney Graves office as I imagine most do, at one of the worst times in my life. I was full of anger and questions, and I needed help. Demetria started answering my questions, and immediately helped me understand the process and the best ways to get through it. Ms. Graves was there to assist, advise and guide me through this very difficult time. She offered more than just legal counsel; she gave me a heads up as to what I might expect to see plus ways to handle the situations and people. She was there to help me get the best results, and came through every time, including helping me retain custody of my three kids. I have already recommended her to several people and will continue to do so. - Brian Beck- Brian Beck
I would like to thank the law office of Demetria Graves. You never know what life can throw at you, and contacting an attorney can be a sensitive time. When I first contacted the office, I was greeted by the staff with warmth and professionalism, and compassion. I appreciated this very much. In the event should I need legal services again, I will contact her office. Once again, thank you for the services regarding my case. - Amy Roberts- Amy Roberts
I have a small girl whom I've been completely involved with since her birth, despite her mother and I having never been married. We had a mutual agreement that the courts never needed to be involved, and everything would be 50/50. But eventually she filed for full custody, demanding I see my little girl 2 days a month. All this after 3 years without incident. Frankly, I was scared. She had retained an attorney, but I could not afford one. We ultimately came to an agreement which held briefly. I thought my child was residing out of town with her mother for 4 months, when in fact, she was only 12 minutes away. At this point I immediately asked a friend in the law field for help. That friend came up with Demetria L. Graves. Upon meeting Ms. Graves, I was immediately impressed with her demeanor. Previous potential counselors were unnecessarily "cut-throat." One went as far as to say "I'll get you full custody and MAKE her pay you support. We'll stick it to her!" This coming from a lawyer at a large and well-to-do firm. Demetria asked me what I wanted, as opposed to telling me what to do just to get even. She understood my position and respected it. Demetria also never hesitated to tell me when my approach to the situation was wrong. She moved quickly and her assistant, Sabrina, kept me informed every step of the way, via phone, email, and mail. Access to her newsletter led me to hold Demetria in even higher regard as a person truly dedicated to their field and wanting to help others understand it. I now have joint custody of my little girl, with equal time/expenses shared. All I wanted was fair treatment for my Baby Girl, which is; both parents in her life. I have, and will continue to refer Demetria Graves to anyone in need of counsel. - Crescen Bacon- Crescen Bacon
I used Ms. Graves services for my divorce last year and I found her and her staff to be very efficient. Sometimes when I was worried about something she would calm me down and say that everything was going to be OK. She was right every time. I would recommend her to anyone. She is a very good lawyer! Sabrina, her assistant, is great at responding quickly when you have a question. Thank you both for your services! - Sandra Castaneda- Sandra Castaneda
I cannot express enough my gratitude for the efforts made to my case. Demetria was truly attentive, patient and essentially was able to close my case with ease. I am very appreciative of her efforts and will most definitely call her should I need her services again. - John Williams- John Williams
At each of our meetings the interest Demetria took, coupled with the way she listened to my personal situation gave her the facts she needed to produce an excellent strategy that proved to be invaluable and ultimately brought us success in court. That was such a happy day for me. One that I have replayed in my mind time and time again. I would definitely, without hesitation, retain Demetria again if any situation arose in my life where I needed legal assistance because she is a brilliant attorney armed with an essence of quality, professionalism and who gets results! - Charlesetta M. Long- Charlesetta M. Long
I chose Attorney Demetria Graves for my divorce attorney based on what she said that she would try to accomplish for me. Well, all I can say is that she definitely delivered, and I am - once again- in control of my life. Thanks Demetria! - Ton Nelson- Ton Nelson
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Demetria for the excellent work I received from her firm. When I first came to her office with my child custody case, I was distraught and afraid of what was to come in the months ahead. She was considerate and compassionate and best of all she gave me hope, which I had not received from any other attorney. I can not thank Demetria enough for the strength and guidance she provided me. I was very pleased with the results of my case, and highly recommend her firm. - Aurora- Aurora